May 4, 2016•Alerts
President Barack Obama Issues Proclamation Declaring May National Mental Health Awareness Month
On April 28, 2016, President Barack Obama issued a Proclamation declaring May as National Mental Health Awareness Month. https://www.federalregister.gov/articles/2016/05/03/2016-10506/national-mental-health-awareness-month-2016
Disability Rights Pennsylvania (DRP) applauds President Obama for giving mental health services the national attention it deserves as they are a top priority for DRP. Every day, DRP works to protect and advocate for Pennsylvanians with mental illness who are subject to abuse, neglect, and discrimination. DRP advocates for the elimination of institutionalization and segregation of people with mental illness and instead promotes the expansion of comprehensive, person-centered community-based services. For more information on DRP’s priorities please visit –https://disabilityrightspa.org/about-drp/priorities/.
DRP has numerous publications on the rights of children and adults with mental illness. To view these publications, please visit our website at — https://disabilityrightspa.org/publications/.
These publications include:
- School Discipline and Students with Disabilities
- Seclusion and Restraint of Students with Disabilities in Pennsylvania Schools
- Getting Medical Assistance for a Child with a Severe Disability, Mental Illness or Behavioral Health Disorder
- Juvenile Dependency Proceedings: A Fact Sheet for Parents with Mental Illness
- Fact Sheet Regarding Termination of Residential Mental Health Services
- Frequently Asked Questions About Mental Health Directives
DRP is hopeful that National Mental Health Awareness month will help end the stigma associated with mental illness and provide more individuals with the assistance they need to live and thrive in their own homes, workplaces, and communities.
If you have a disability-related legal or advocacy questions, please call DRP at 1-800-692-7443.
Disability Rights Pennsylvania
Offices in Philadelphia, Harrisburg, Pittsburgh